[NBLUG/talk] Linux for my grand kid's computer

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Sat Dec 11 16:19:40 PST 2004

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 03:48:00PM -0800, Kyle Rankin wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 03:42:26PM -0800, Todd Cary wrote:
> > By the way, I have heard that there is a way to install Knoppix on the
> > HD; is that true?
> >
> Yes, open a terminal and type "sudo knoppix-installer" to launch the
> installation script.

Kyle-

Do you think Knoppix is a good option for a long-term stable
desktop installation?

I personally don't think it is -- unless the user really likes to get
"down and dirty" with the system.

When you're pulling from Debian Unstable, and especially from
Experimental and unofficial sources, the user has too great of chance
of ending up with a quirky or outright busted system just from doing an
'apt-get upgrade'

Just my opinion -- but I haven't written any books on Knoppix lately ;-)

-troy