[NBLUG/talk] Finding files containing a string

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Sun Dec 12 11:29:46 PST 2004

On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 08:59:27AM -0800, Todd Cary wrote:
> I want to find all files containing the string "interbase.so".  If I do
>
> ls -Rl * | grep "interbase.so"
>
> I do not get the directory.  What is the best way to do this?
>
> Todd
> --

Hmm, I think I misunderstood your question. Do you want to find the string
"interbase.so" inside of a file? or is "interbase.so" part of the file or
directory name? If you were trying the latter my previous advice applies,
otherwise just use the recursive flag to grep:

  grep -R "interbase.so" *

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President