[NBLUG/talk] Linux for my grand kid's computer

Steve Johnson gnuguy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 12:03:57 PST 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 07:28:55 -0800, Jim Oser <oserj at oserconsulting.com> wrote:

> If money is no object, I would buy your grandkids a Mac ! If your time
> is worth anything, I would buy them a Mac, because if you get them a
> Linux machine there will be a steep learning curve. You will also need
> to explain to them why they can't simply attach a printer, a camera, or
> use instant messaging. Sure they can do these things with Linux, but it
> is not simple. They have not taken Mark Street's Linux Administration.

I won't comment on the camera or printer comment, Since someone
allready covered that, but I will say that Instant messaging is just
as easy on linux as it is on any other OS.  Most distros come with
GAIM now, which is as easy to setup and run as any other instant
messaging client, and it supports multiple protocols.. ICQ, AOL, MSN,
Yahoo and even IRC.

-Steve

--
      "Knowing others is wisdom, knowing your self is Enlightenment."
                                                   -- Lao-Tzu