[NBLUG/talk] hard drive death, filesystem types

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 16 20:18:41 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 18:55 -0800, Bob Blick wrote:
> So I'm looking at filesystem types for my new Seagate drive.
>
> Any suggestions? I'm leaning towards ext2 since there are proven
> tools for it, and this computer is running on a UPS so it's not
> likely to get turned off accidentally.

You might as well go with ext3, since it's backwards-compatible with
ext2 (i.e. any data recovery tools that work with ext2 will also work
with ext3).

> Any comments about filesystems?
> Any help for rescuing my reiserfs disk?

Did you try:
reiserfsck --rebuild-tree /dev/[your hard disk]

(You may want to back up as much readable data from the hard disk as you
possibly can ahead of time, as per the advice of the man page.)

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness.
		-- Aristotle