[NBLUG/talk] Hot Potato!

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Fri Dec 24 16:42:04 PST 2004

On Fri, Dec 24, 2004 at 06:19:03PM -0200, Osiris Pedroso wrote:
> My wife's Windows notebook decided to start giving hard drive errors during
> boot, so it is not longer bootable.
>
> I booted from a version of Knoppix, but was unable to figure out how to
> mount the fat32 partition. I am trying to save her mail folders, nothing
> else.
>
> When following the instructions, I was told to use fdisk -l, and script the
> FAT32 partition into the fstab and then mount it.
>
> But "fdisk -l" fails with a "Input/Output Error".
>
> I was wondering if any of you would have another hint on how to accomplish
> this task.
>
> Thanks so much,
>
> Osiris Pedroso
> --
> Optimizer Consulting
> 369B Third St #369
> San Rafael, CA 94901-3581
> Ph: (707) 658-3500
> AOL AIM: osirisPedroso
> http://www.SWoptimizer.com

What instructions are you following? On most modern Knoppix disks you
should just need to click on the hard drive icon that should appear on your
desktop, to mount and access the filesystem. Then you can drag and drop the
files to some kind of removable storage (like a usb drive or a floppy) or
some network share on another machine.

Otherwise, you can type:

   sudo mount /dev/hda1

in a terminal if you want to do it from the command line (of course change
hda1 to match whatever partition you are trying to mount).

Try this out and if you don't see the hard drive icons, then some other
problem is occuring (ie Linux can't see your hard drive either) and you
might have to resort to some more drastic measures.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President
kyle at nblug.org