[NBLUG/talk] grub menu will not load

Ryan Culley rculley at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 14:22:05 PST 2004

Hello folks,

I am stuck with a Toshiba Tecra laptop with WindowsXP and Ubunto linux
partitions that will not load the grub menu.  I recently added the
Ubuntu partition and everything seemed to be working fine until the
grub menu failed to come up.  I can barely see "grub loading..." flash
across the screen and then it switches to a Toshiba boot menu and back
and forth.  I also tried using the various boot icons that Toshiba
puts on the screen but only using the one I perceive to be a "CD"
works with a bootable CD such as Knoppix.

I googled and found Kyle Rankin's write-up for re-installing grub:
http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/02/knpxhks_1.html

4 hours later, i've discovered that re-installing grub with Knoppix
did not help and it likely that wasn't the real problem anyway but I
had fun doing it.

Does anyone have any ideas what I could try to get the grub menu back
up?  And what hosed it up?

Would it help if I posted the contents of grub's menu.1st file?

Thanks for all suggestions and comments!
Ryan