[NBLUG/talk] grub menu will not load

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Mon Dec 27 16:25:46 PST 2004

On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 07:17:13PM -0500, Ryan Culley wrote:
> Maybe I didn't successfully re-install GRUB?  Previously, i used this command:
>
> root at Knoppix:/ # grub-install root-directory=/dev/hda3
>
> ...and it took, but maybe should I have run:
>
> root at Knoppix:/ # grub-install root-directory=/dev/hda3 /dev/hda
> More than one install_devices?
> /sbin/grub-install: line 59: cannot create temp file for here
> document: Read-only file system
> root at Knoppix:/ #
>
> ... as you can see I have a permissions problem.  Does anyone know if
> I should use the latter or former command and why?
>
> Thanks,
> Ryan

[snip]

You should use the latter command so that grub knows explicitly where you
want to install the boot code. However if you are doing this under Knoppix
you need to make sure that /dev/hda3 is mounted read-write, and also you
need to specify /mnt/hda3 as the root-directory, _not_ /dev/hda3:

   mount -o rw,remount /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3

if it's already mounted or

   mount -o rw /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3

if it isn't. Then run:

   grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/hda3 /dev/hda

If this doesn't work though, I'd still check that LBA mode is enabled for
that drive in your BIOS.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President