[NBLUG/talk] UNIX file sharing with an eMac

Peter Lutz peter3 at sonic.net
Fri Dec 31 10:50:25 PST 2004

Yep, my wife now has an eMac instead of a Windoz box.  She's not up to Linux
yet....  So what I want to do is export a directory on her system that I can
read and write on my side of the room (Debian).
I asked this question on the yahoo macosx list, but thought I would ask here,
as well.

Has anyone succeeded in exporting a user's directory to other systems,
such as a Linux box?  I have made an /etc/exports file that contains:
/Users/myusername       host1(rw)       host2(rw)       host3(rw)

On the Linux box I added this line to my /etc/fstab file:
emac:/Users/myusername  /mnt/emac  nfs
rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr,noauto,users 0   0

When I try to mount /mnt/emac, I get the following error message:
mount: emac:/Users/myusername failed, reason given by server: Permission denied

Do I need to do more?  I did reboot the emac a couple of times.
OS X 10.3.7

Thanks,
Peter

--