[NBLUG/talk] Play a sound when the screensaver terminates?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Jan 7 14:48:01 PST 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 02:41:25PM -0800, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> I'm trying to discourage a cat who is developing the habit of nesting on
> a computer desk, leaving fur all over the mousepad and occasionally
> stepping on the keyboard.  Since the mouse moves every time she jumps on
> the desk, I figure that if I could set up the screensaver to play a WAV
> file (probably /usr/share/sounds/error.wav) whenever it deactivates,

Depending on your enviornment, you could also have the screen 'lock' when
it goes into screensaver mode.

Unless your cat looks over your shoulder and learns your password...
and then how to type it... you should be fine. ;^)

<snip>
> Does anyone know of a way to do what I'm describing?  The computer is
> running Red Hat Linux 9.0 with KDE 3.1.3.

Unfortunately, I can't think of anything off-hand.  KDE might have some
option to play a sound when the screensaver comes back.  *shrug*

Good luck!

-bill!