[NBLUG/talk] OT: physic puzzle reviewed.

Tim Preston timp at sonic.net
Sat Jan 10 11:10:04 PST 2004

Mitch Patenaude wrote:
> As someone with a physics degree, i can say this is not a
> straightforward physics problem, nor even a straightforward
> engineering problem.  Anybody who tried to give you "numbers" should
> be treated very skeptically.  I can try to do some
> back-of-the-envelope calculations, but it's hard to say what they
> mean.

  -Snip-

> This is a classic chaos theory problem. -- Mitch

and chaos reigned...

Mitch,

Thanks for bring chaos into an otherwise sterile experiment.

Tim

All,

Not to be rude.

Many physicists and scientists in general agree that mathematics will
cover most problems. There is a formula for everything. But just putting
formulas together into complex hypothesis doesn't always work quite
right. There is always a fudge factor. Enter the chaos theory.

In our example the Wave hitting GGB (meteor impact, 10m of water, 65mph);
The wave would not be moving in one direction. Water is liquid. Even
moving as a large mass the energy is transient therefore not
mathematically consistant (chaos). As the water passed the plane of the
front of the bridge if the roadway ripped away, the tension on the
cables and towers would drop dramatically leaving the surface area of
the vertical cables to float loosely on the water (chaos in action).
Thus removing much of the resistance. If the cable held and the roadway
bent down to catch the incoming water like a scoop it would compound the
force transfered to the cables, towers, etc..

However, the roadway floats on cables in suspension. The roadway has
little to no side to side support. (more chaos)

chaos, chaos, chaos.