[NBLUG/talk] Moving permissions

Dustin Mollo dustin at sonic.net
Sun Jan 18 09:14:01 PST 2004

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 08:36:16AM -0800, Todd Cary wrote:
> What happens if the "owners" are not on the new machine?  I would like
> to avoid the tedious task of creating users and groups on the new box.

you could simply copy and paste the appropriate lines from the passwd,
group, shadow and gshadow files from the 'old' box to the 'new' box.  if you
don't, then all the directories and files will be owned by just uid's and
gid's (ie, no magic resolving to usernames and groupnames.)  if the
permissions are not such that people in the 'other' category in the
permissions bits can access the files and groups, then they will be
unaccessable by anyone on the 'new' box.

to sum up, either way, you need to somehow create the users and groups on
the 'new' box.

-dustin