[NBLUG/talk] What's up with that?

Dave Sisley dsisley at arczip.com
Fri Jun 4 20:02:20 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 04:10:34PM -0700, Kyle Rankin wrote:

> Whoa whoa whoa there. Installing from source rpms? Tracking down
> dependencies? This is the 21st Century! :)
>
> Any modern distribution, including Fedora, includes proper dependency and
> package management so you can simply run the package installer and it will
> pull down packages for you. Fedora comes with three, yum, apt4rpm, and
> up2date all of which can work together (and even with the nice opencarpet
> front-end) to download and install packages and dependencies for you.
>
> I think you would have a lot fewer headaches if you tried installing the
> kdegames package the "official" way through one of those programs.

Kyle is of course very wise, and has pulled my rant out from under
me.  I am wrong on 2 counts.  Not only does apt solve the problem I
thought I had, but I am complaining about the wrong package in the
first place.

I am trying to install something called 'kgames', not kdegames (which
I already have). I got confused somewhere and forgot what the hell I
was doing.

Is there a linux solution to my short attention span?

Please disregard this thread unless you wish to post some
well-deserved scolding.

-dave.

--
Dave Sisley