[NBLUG/talk] Which Distro.

Steve Johnson srj at adnd.com
Wed Jun 9 10:03:44 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 09:56:47AM -0700, E Frank Ball wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 09:41:55AM -0700, Steve Johnson wrote:
> }
> } I considered testing, which is what I run at home as my desktop
> } box, and dev box.. But I also noticed it patches alot, and I have had
> } things break, granted simple config changes fixed it =) but, its a hassel.
>
> There are a lot of upgrades still in testing.  The only thing I've
> broken is X windows and my automounter, which wouldn't matter on a
> server, but you never know.

So far the only thing that has broken on my testing box is cups, which
also would not matter on this paticular server =)
 I still havnt figured out what it broke, mainly due to the fact I havnt
needed to print in a long time. =)  But I suspect it is a permissions issue.

> } I'm running debian stable on a clients network, and it runs
> } great, thats the main reason I am leaning towards it.  But, like I
> } said I had to compile some stuff by hand..  Mainly sendmail.. we
> } were/are using a spam filter that required a newer version of sendmail for
> } it to work.  But other than that, it runs like a champ.
>
> You can "apt-get -t testing install sendmail" to upgrade just sendmail
> to testing (and whatever dependencies it needs).  That's the sort of
> thing I've been doing on my server that runs stable.  I wanted the rate
> limiting feature of the newer ntp server so I upgraded it to testing.

Yeah, I've done this before, and it may be the route I go.. But again, I
also don't mind compiling from source =)  Which is what I did in the case
of my client.

-Steve

--
----
      "Knowing others is wisdom, knowing your self is Enlightenment."