[NBLUG/talk] Gallery 1.4 installation trouble - SOLVED (?)

Dave Sisley dsisley at arczip.com
Sat Jun 12 10:29:46 PDT 2004

On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 07:58:26AM -0700, Dave Sisley wrote:
> I have some more info:
>
> I managed to turn on 'display_errors' in php, and now I get the
> following in my browser when I call up the gallery page:
>
> Fatal error: session_start(): Failed to initialize storage module: user (path: /var/lib/php/session) in /misc/drupal-4.4.1/gallery/session.php on line 60
>
> Thinking this is a permissions problem, here's the 'ls -l' for /var/lib/php:
>
> drwx------  2 apache apache 4096 May 19 08:13 session
>
> Note also that other .php files will in fact display, while this page will
> not (it's called albums.php).  The line in session.php simply calls
> the session_start function.

I think I solved the problem.  First, some things that didn't work:

- chowning /var/lib/php from root.root to apache.apache [I suppose I
  should switch that back?]

- editing php.ini to change the session.save_path from
  /var/lib/php/session to /tmp [Please advise if this is a terrible mistake!]
What worked:

- editing the session.php file called by Gallery and adding the
  following just above the call to session_start() :

ini_set('session.save_handler', 'files');

I don't know much php, but apparantly the default value for
save_handler is set (in php.ini, I believe) as 'user' when this
particular call requires 'files'.

Go figure.  I am going to try and write up a semi coherent email for
the Gallery folks.  This was a PITA.

I have yet to even try using the application.  You may hear from me
again!

- dave.

--
Dave Sisley