[NBLUG/talk] Machine Check Exception?

Troy Arnold fryman at sonic.net
Fri Jun 25 16:24:54 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 04:22:22PM -0700, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 11:30, Mansur, Warren wrote:
>
> >  Unfortunately it is attached to the motherboard and so you have two options:
> >
> > - put in a new motherboard
>
> With the same CPU?  I'd have to buy a new motherboard; that's why I
> wanted to find another way to isolate the problem.

Just because your kernel runs fine on another system doesn't mean it is
not kernel related.  To isolate it from the OS, stick in a Knoppix CD or
something and go stress the hell out of it.  It's certainly hot enough
today...

Oh, and regarding RAM testing.  Not sure how you did it, but last year I
ran a series of memtest86 cycles on a stick of RAM that I suspected was
bad.  It passed.  The machine was still unstable, so I ran memtest86
again, this time letting it cycle overnight.  About the 20-something
iteration, the RAM started showing errors.  It was indeed bad, and a new
stick of RAM "fixed" the machine.

-troy