[NBLUG/talk] Scanner Setup

Andrew argonaut at softhome.net
Tue Mar 2 21:41:02 PST 2004

Ian Sutherland wrote on Tue, 02 Mar 2004 16:44:07 -0800:

> Frank, Thanks for your answer. The only device in /proc/scsi/scsi is as
> indicated;
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>          Vendor: ATAPI   Model: CD-RW 52X24      Rev: K.LC
>          Type:  CD-Rom                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02.
>
> I ran the script, seemingly without success.
> The controller is on the ISA slot and works in Win XP.
> xsane does not recognize the scanner.
> There is no ScanJet listing for HP using locate.
> "scanner" shows up in /proc/usb/

Looks as if your Symbios Logic 53C416 SCSI controller has not
been recognized by the kernel. What you see above is an
"emulated" SCSI system which has been set up as an interface for
your ATAPI (aka IDE) CD-RW drive. (All ATAPI CD-RW drives use
SCSI emulation with the "ide-scsi" module in 2.4 kernels and
below.)

The kernel module (aka "driver", in Windows terminology) which
runs your Symbios Logic card is called "sym53c416.o". No surprise
there, eh? You need to check to see if that module is loaded in
the kernel. As root, type "lsmod" (without quotes) at a command
line prompt. This will show you all the modules that are loaded
in the kernel. Look for sym53c416 (without the .o at the end).
Also see if isa-pnp is in the list, too. You may need that -- I'm
not sure. If you don't see sym53c416 in the list, try to load it
into the kernel with this command (still as root):
modprobe sym53c416
If this command spits out errors, post them to this list.
If you don't get errors, run the lsmod command again.
sym53c416 should now be in the list. If you see it there, go
through Frank's instructions again. With any luck, you'll have
your scanner up and running in no time.

A.

PS: If the above works, ask on the list about the proper way of
making Red Hat load a module at startup. The above hack is only
temporary and will go away when you reboot. I use Debian, so I
would just run modcconf and select the module(s) I want from a
list. Red Hat's different, though, and I don't know what tools
they provide for selecting modules to load at boot time.