[NBLUG/talk] CUPS USB not working on Brother HL-1440

Johnson Leung jmlleung at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 6 13:47:01 PST 2004

I installed CUPS 1.1.20 on my Dell PowerEdge 400SC. I use Red Hat Linux 9.

At first I connected my Brother HL-1440 printer to the second USB slot on
the first row. When I tried to test print, it said something like "idle,
accepting jobs". But nothing get printed.

After I searched the internet, I did two things:
1. I switched the printer to the first USB slot on the second row
2. I add this line to the end of /etc/fstab:
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults,devmode=0666 0 0

The Printer State changed to "Media tray empty!" from "idle, accepting
jobs". Hmmm..., after doing something else, now the Printer State is "Ready
to print." However, I tried to test print but still nothing comes out.

I delete the Printer and add it back. Now it is "idle, accepting jobs" but
nothing printed out again.

Is this a bug? Can someone help?

Thanks,
Johnson
P.S.: Another question: I cannot use usb:/dev/usb/lp1. When I try to do
that, it said "Unable to open USB device "usb:/dev/usb/lp1": No such device"