[NBLUG/talk] How to uninstall mySQL? Any expert can help?

Dustin Mollo dustin at sonic.net
Tue Mar 30 07:51:02 PST 2004

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 01:10:35AM -0800, Johnson Leung wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running Red Hat Linux 9. I was trying to uninstall mySQL and
> re-installing it again. I tried
> rpm -e MySQL-server-4.0.18.0.i386.rpm
>
> It said there are some dependencies. So I did:
> rpm -qa | grep mysql
> rpm -e -nodeps MySQLxxx where MySQLxxx are the dependency modules

[snip]

the big thing that seems to be tripping you up here, is that unix/linux is
case-sensitive.  notice that you did a grep on an all lower-case pkg name,
and you did a removal on an upper-case pkg name.  try doing a "grep -i" on
that rpm -qa output - i bet you'll find your other mysql pkgs.  in fact,
further down your message (that part i snipped), you even got an error that
told you the pkg name that was installed (mysql-server.)

good luck,

-dustin