[NBLUG/talk] I want to learn shell scripting.

Dave Sisley dsisley at arczip.com
Fri May 14 05:51:10 PDT 2004

Thanks for tips, everyone. I've decided to go with the O'Reilly bash
book (with the fish on the cover).  I chose it for various reasons,
but I may still check out some of the other books that were
suggested.  I have a feeling that the 'Power Tools' book will be
better for me when I have a little more knowledge...

Best nugget so far from the fish book:

Ctrl-R from the command line allows reverse-incremental searching
through the command history - just like in emacs!*  Who knew?

- dave.

* Your shell can be set to respond to emacs-like commands, which I
  think is the default setting.  You can also set it to respond to vi
  commands, but why would you do that?
  <winking-smiley-with-tongue-sticking-out>