[NBLUG/talk] Dedicated Linux Servers at Sonic.net

Steve Johnson srj at adnd.com
Sun May 16 15:39:34 PDT 2004

Well, I know 1 mom, who has her own server (well sorta) that runs a site
that has a stand alone IRC server on it.. So colo was the way to
go for her =)

(My mom, incase you are wondering)

But I see your point.   But I also believe that a small web hosting
firm can handle 256Megs to start if they dont host e-mail.

Shoot I remember when there were ISPs out there running on 486's
with 128Megs of ram, and they would brag about getting a
couple hundred virtual domains running on those boxes with little impact.
 I think the folks who used to run irc.eskimo.?? used to have a system
like that. =)

Heck, my own colo, runs a very popular site (5K hits a day on average)
that is running phpNuke which is very dynamic and SQL intensive, runs an
IRCD for role players, mail server for 4 domains and also runs clamav with
clamassassin, spamassassin.. All on a P3 600mhz and 384M of ram =)

I never see my load go up over 0.12 =)  and thats on a busy day.

I am in the process of specing out a new server tho, I want
to get something with a little more beef under the hood and more
HD space.. so this server will retire soon.. But the 2.5 years it has been
running, it has been solid.

-Steve

On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 03:30:54PM -0700, micxz wrote:

> Your right. But I'm thinking that mom and pop would want to get a
> virtual account supporting ten email accounts for 19.95 rather than
> spending more.
>
> Then again, it all comes down to your hosting needs.
>
> --
> Micxz
>
> Steve Johnson wrote:
> > This really depends on what it is doing.  If all it is doing is serving
> > up a few web pages for some mom and pop store, and handling e-mail for 10
> > or so employees.. 256M is just fine.
> >
> > -Steve
> >

> > On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 11:13:47AM -0700, micxz wrote:
> >
> >>I'm sorry that's what I meant. I would think a production webserver
> >>would need 512MB RAM at least don't you? Just my opinion'
> >>
> >>- Micxz
> >>

> >>Augie Schwer wrote:

> >>--
> >>Micxz

> --
> Micxz

----
      "Knowing others is wisdom, knowing your self is Enlightenment."
                                                   -- Lao-Tzu