[NBLUG/talk] [OT] rude clients

Suzanne Aldrich aigeanta at sonic.net
Mon May 17 10:15:40 PDT 2004

Dear NBLUG list,

I have a new client who sends really rude email to me. I know that part
of it is my fault for not getting done with her project in a timely
manner, but I feel like I don't deserve this abuse. I had to start a
new full-time job at a hotel because I was having a hard time making
ends meet in the computer industry (I'm a Stanford CS dropout trying to
get a foot in the door, but only succeeding in getting it crushed and
mangled). The client knows that I am limited for time but has been
really pushy the entire time I've worked for her. I actually enjoyed
working on the project, which was scripting FileMaker Pro 7 to retrieve
contacts from her website via formmail and email, and then sending out
an email campaign to everyone who opted in (kinda roundabout but at
least it's symmetrical). Now I'm done with the project, and I want some
advice for how I should deal with her. I have not jumped on the
rudeness bandwagon; I always responded as politely and professionally
as possible. I would like to work for her but the rudeness has got to
stop, and I can't do any work in the next two weeks because I'm
desperately trying to plan for my wedding this July; all preparations
stopped while working for her, and she even accused me of doing wedding
planning instead of her project. This abuse has got to go!

Suzanne