[NBLUG/talk] Slight hiccup with Fedora 2 install

Todd Cary todd at aristesoftware.com
Sun May 23 07:20:31 PDT 2004

When boot into the Gnome X server, I am getting a keyboard error (not
when I pick KDE) and once I click OK on the dialog, all is fine:

xprop -root | grep XKB
gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/xkb

Those are the two lines in the Warning.

Also, I notice that the symbolic link for X in /etc/X11/ is wrong
(flashing red).  So, here I am trying to apply what Mark presented in
his Intro to Unix Admin, however the interdependence of the components
of X boot process has me overwhelmed.

Another note: if I select Gnome as my preference (using the GUI
interface) when in KDE, the system continues to boot into KDE.  By
picking Gnome as startup (Session) and then setting Gnome with the GUI,
it will boot into Gnome.

What is the best diagnostic strategy to use to find the problem?

Todd