[NBLUG/talk] SSH not letting me login

Micxz micxz at slashdomain.com
Wed Nov 3 14:57:47 PST 2004

Walter Hansen wrote:

>This may have been suggested, but did you try having root reset the password?

Walter:
Oh Yes. I have tried this a few times.

Augie:
"If you can't login locally, then you won't be able to login remotely. You
will need to address that issue first."

Exactly. That's where I'm at now.

"tail the logs and see what happens when you try and login with that user.
You could try su'ing from root to that user and see what that produces."

phybernuker at neptune:~> su -
Password:
neptune:~ # su micxz
su: incorrect password

Am I supposed to get a pass prompt as root? As a regular user (su micxz)
I get a prompt, but the pass I set is not working. Back to square one.

Log:
Nov 3 14:36:31 neptune su: pam_unix2: session started for user root,
service su
Nov 3 14:36:37 neptune su: FAILED SU (to micxz) phybernuker on /dev/pts/4

Dave:
I changed the pass so many times now.
I'm sure I'm typing it correctly.

Eric:
Very interesting post. And yes I think I understand what your saying
about permissions. I don't think this is my problem, because the errors
don't suggest it, but I know the thread is going other places as well.

The only other thing I can add to this post is the shadow file looks
different for the user in question "micxz":
snip>
greg:blahblahblah:12698:0:99999:7:::
jason:blahblahblah:12683:0:99999:7:::
micxz:blahblahblah:12725:0:99999:7::12723:
phybernuker:blahblahblah:12725:0:99999:7:::

Notice the user micxz has a entry in the last column "12723" WTF' could
my account have gotten locked somehow (just guessing here)?

--
Micxz