[NBLUG/talk] SSH not letting me login

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Wed Nov 3 16:37:21 PST 2004

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 04:27:47PM -0800, Dave Sisley wrote:
> Heck, no!  But I can see that's why ssh would care about the .ssh
> directory, but it doesn't explain why ssh should enforce certain
> conditions on my home directory.

Here's a simpler explanation:

ssh enforces certain conditions on your home directory because that's how it
can effectively enforce certain conditions on the .ssh directory.

(and without enforcing those conditions on the .ssh directory it can't
guarantee that you're the user that put the keys into the authorized_keys
file)
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & Director-At-Large