[NBLUG/talk] mod_dav on multiple boxes?

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Mon Nov 15 17:21:47 PST 2004

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 02:32:11PM -0800, Augie Schwer wrote:
> http://www.webdav.org/mod_dav/install.html
> "Note: the directory should not be on an NFS-mounted partition. mod_dav
> uses flock/fcntl to manage access to the database. Some operating systems
> cannot use these operations on an NFS-mounted partition."
>
> The environment where I would want to deploy WebDAV would be a
> cluster of web servers sharing data via NFS, so this note looks like I
> really cannot proceed, but I figured I would ask here and see if anyone
> has seen a work around for this. Any takers?

2 things:
1) "rpc.lockd" and "rpc.statd".  Modern NFS client and server
implementations can do locking.  I think "fcntl" is prefered over "flock",
though.

2) You can get the apr bits of apache to use different DBM implementations,
so if one isn't working due to its particular lock handling, you can use a
different one...  I think by default it hunts around for everything you have
and prefers berkeley DB, but it can be persuaded to do gdbm, sdbm or a
couple of others.  "./configure --help=recursive" should convince apache's
top-level stuff to spit out the apr help to show you the flags to force
specific dbm implementations.
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & Director-At-Large