[NBLUG/talk] Laptop Distro

Steve Johnson gnuguy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 11:53:29 PST 2004

Mostly problems with shutting down, the power management isn't quite
working with it..  I've also seen some non-laptop issues that worry
me, mainly issues with SATA drives.

I'm running C3 on my workstation at work, and am having zero problems
with it, its actually pretty nice, and I see a performance improvement
over teh C1 I had on here before.

I think my biggest complaint about Fedora is that it does not support
MP3 natively, you need to download another package from freshrpms in
order to get MP3 support..  Now I do understand why the fedora group
chose to disable MP3 support.. but its a drag..

A friend of mine is trying to talk me into trying Suse.  I may give
that a try.  Maybe I'll just do a Debian install =)  I know Debian the
best of all the distros I've used.  But last time I did debian on a
latop, getting wireless to work properly took a bit of work and time..

-Steve

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:39:04 -0800, Mark Street <mark at oswizards.com> wrote:
> Whine Whine Whine, Dream, Dream, Dream, talk to Linksys and Broadcom about
> driver hassles.  I have a 5100, run FC1 on it.  Maybe I will go to FC3 and
> bleed a little.
>
> What types of 'problems' did FC3 cause on laptops specificially?
>

> On Wednesday 17 November 2004 11:15, Steve Johnson wrote:
> > I was wondering what your opinions on laptop distros of linux were.  I
> > have a Dell 5100 Laptop and I want to put linux on it (again).  Before
> > I had FC2 on it, and it seemed to work fairly well.  So I was going to
> > install FC3 on it, then I read on the fedoraforum.org site, that C3 is
> > having problems on laptops.
> >
> > Basicly, I'm looking for a distro that right from the install will
> > support the Broadcom nic, the Linksys Wireless card, and the winmodem.
> >  With out much config hassels.
> --
> Mark Street, RHCE
> http://www.oswizards.com
> --
> Key fingerprint = 3949 39E4 6317 7C3C 023E  2B1F 6FB3 06E7 D109 56C0
> GPG key http://www.oswizards.com/pubkey.asc

      "Knowing others is wisdom, knowing your self is Enlightenment."
                                                   -- Lao-Tzu
|C8H10N4O2|