[NBLUG/talk] Report from yesterday's CPR hearing (and last chance to submit feedback!)

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Sep 28 11:50:35 PDT 2004

Members from the Linux Users' Group of Davis attended yesterday's
California Performance Review[1] hearing at UC Davis, and submitted a
comment card and written comments in favor of recommendation
SO10 "Explore Open Source Alternatives." [2]

LUGOD's Henry House was the last speaker at the very end of the hearing, and
has posted his summary of the event to LUGOD's 'vox-outreach' mailing list:

  http://lists.lugod.org/pipermail/vox-outreach/2004-September/001048.html

    "I was the very last speaker and all I got to say was:
    'I am representing the Linux Users' Group of Davis, reresenting
    over 200 open-source-software users in Davis.  We strongly support
    recommendation SO10 in the CPR report.  Using open-source software
    can save the State a lot of money.'

    "To our great surprise, several members of the CPR staff came up to
    us after I spoke and thanked us for voicing our support for the OSS
    recommendation.  They said that it is one of the most controversial
    recommendations in the entire report.  They collected a copy of my
    3-minute speech that I was not able to deliver and encouraged me and
    LUGOD to submit detailed written comments using their website.
    They also mentioned that they built their web comment-taking system
    using open-source software."

Testimony and feedback on the CRP commission hearings can be
submitted online via an email form, or by uploaded a PDF, but only
until this Thursday, September 30th:

  http://cpr.ca.gov/feedback

-bill!
pr at lugod.org
http://www.lugod.org/
Linux Users' Group of Davis

[1] California Performance Review:
    http://www.cpr.ca.gov/

[2] SO10: Explore Open Source Alternatives
    http://www.report.cpr.ca.gov/cprrpt/issrec/stops/it/so10.htm