[NBLUG/talk] Yes

S. Saunders sms at sonic.net
Tue Apr 5 09:00:36 PDT 2005

On Sat, April 2, 2005 15:54, A'fish'ionado said:

> It sure makes an impression, but what is it good for? I know people
> must be using it, since it seems to be a standard part of Unix--but
> what do you use it for?
>
> Just wondering,

It's sort of an "opposite" of /dev/null (where you toss output you
don't need) -- when you need an arbitrarily-long stream of INput,
you can get it from "yes".

Also, more-specifically, it will substitute for interactive input,
if you have some program that wants more input (e.g. affirming to
an automated query to continue) than you want to type.

I used to use it -- very occasionally -- but seldom do so any more.

- Steve S.