[NBLUG/talk] requirements for nfs client?

Bob Blick bblick at sonic.net
Wed Apr 6 09:17:42 PDT 2005

I'm putting together a second little embedded system based around Damn
Small Linux, a stripped down Knoppix. The first one went easy, but this
second one is using an ISA-based network card that isn't detected, and
things aren't going so well.

Basically if I modprobe the card and then run pump, I can ssh and scp and
surf the net no problem.

If I start portmap I can mount external filesystems. However, I can't
actually transfer files - I can see files and directories, but copying
basically stalls - perhaps a few bytes move but it just sits there(and
never times out).

Clearly I need to start something else, but what is it? It seems strange
that mount and ls work fine but cp doesn't. The ethernet connection itself
works great, scp will move a file at full speed.

Anyone able to help me fill out the gap in my Linux understanding? I
thought as long as ethernet was up and portmap was running, that was
enough for an nfs client.

Thanks,

Bob