[NBLUG/talk] Knoppix Remaster

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Mon Apr 25 11:39:21 PDT 2005

On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 01:59:16PM -0700, David wrote:
> I'm thinking of doing a knoppix remaster (some apps I want they don't
> have, and vice-versa, and I like my settings) and I've looked googled it
> and looked on knoppix.net, but was wondering two things.  Do I have to
> have a separate 650-700 mg partition for the initial copying or can I
> just make a directory on the drive and then use cdrecord with recursion
> for the whole directory?
>
> Also, (and don't think this is blasphemy) is a remaster possible in
> windows with nero, assuming I can extract the .bin file (the cd's master
> boot record)?  Has anyone tried this in windows?
>
> TIA
> ShadowEyez

It really depends on how much you want to change on the disk. If the sort
of changes you are making could be saved with the saveconfig script, then
you could simply run the saveconfig script from within Knoppix and put the
resulting knoppix.sh and configs.tbz file inside the KNOPPIX directory.
The knoppix.sh file will be executed each time the CD boots. Since you are
essentially just adding two files to a directory on the CD image, this kind
of change is something you could do with Nero.

Of course, if you want to do anything major, like install most programs,
you will need to do a full remaster, which does require about 4-5gb of
space on a Linux partition, and is something you can't do within Nero or on
Windows. In my experience it's easiest to do a full remaster from within a
booted Knoppix CD since the compressed loopback filesystem (KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
on a Knoppix CD) is already mounted for you, so it's easy to copy the
files.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President