[NBLUG/talk] Setting default browser

Dean A. Roman droman at romansys.com
Mon Aug 1 10:20:31 PDT 2005

In RHEL the application to change the default browser for Gnome is:
/usr/bin/gnome-default-applications-properties
I'll make a leap of faith and say it's probably the same or close in Fedora.

I believe the file it modifies for the browser is (but double check this
as I haven't actually tested it to make sure):

~/.gconf/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/unknown/%gconf.xml

==> It Should look something like:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<gconf>
        <entry name="command" mtime="1122916127" type="string">
                <stringvalue>firefox %s</stringvalue>
        </entry>
</gconf>

Good luck...

---Dean.

Bill Kendrick wrote:

>On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 09:34:50AM -0700, Nat W. wrote:
>

>>I don't know about KDE, but in gnome its under desktop>preferences>advanced
>>in there a desktop program slector thingy. You can set what your default
>>browser and terminal are. Also in firefox's option page there should be a
>>setting to make firefox the default browser
>>

>How is this actually facilitated on a system?  Back in the day, I learned
>about the "$EDITOR" env. variable, which is used by a lot of apps, and
>I never understood why we didn't get a "$BROWSER" one. ;)
>
>-bill!

Dean A. Roman
President
Roman Computer Systems
Office: 707-237-6798
Fax   : 707-237-2649
E-mail: droman at romansys.com
Web   : http://www.romansys.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This email is intended only for the person(s) to which it is addressed and contains confidential and privileged information. If you are not the addressee(s), or the person responsible for delivering this to the addressee(s), you are hereby notified that reading, copying, or distributing this message is prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please contact us immediately at the telephone number shown above and take the steps necessary to delete the message completely from your computer system.
-Thank you.