[NBLUG/talk] Linux Apache PHP novice

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Wed Aug 3 00:07:31 PDT 2005

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 11:45:42PM -0700, jmlleung at yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need some help here. I installed Red Hat Linux 9, Apache httpd 2.0.49,
> MySQL 4.0.18, PHP 4.3.4 on my Dell machine a year ago and put it aside. I
> originally planned to practice writing some simple web pages using LAMP.
>
> Now I am trying to pick it up again. But I don't even remember how to launch
> a html page. My httpd is up and running.

If you're sitting at the machine where apache is installed, try:
http://127.0.0.1/  If apache is running on another machine on your
network, try http://n.n.n.n. where 'n.n.n.n' is the IP address of that
machine.

> I have 2 httpd.conf files. One is under /usr/local/apache2/conf/, and the
> other under /etc/httpd/conf/. Which one is being used?

It's sounds like you possibly have two Apache instances installed?  One
from Redhat's package manager and one from source perhaps?  Which one
gets used is dependent upon how Apache is being started.  There should
be a script, /etc/init.d/apache or /etc/init.d/httpd which, if you view
it, should clue you in on what apache is being run, and with which conf files.

> Where should I store the .html files? Is it defined by DocumentRoot in
> httpd.conf?

Yep, that's where it is defined.  DocumentRoot is most likely set to /var/www/.

-troy