[NBLUG/talk] Starting in gdm rather than xdm

Mark Street mark at oswizards.com
Mon Aug 15 20:54:38 PDT 2005

startx will .... start X.  But you want a X Display Manager to start in
runlevel 5.

From what you describe below you may have some more package work to do.  After
you get a bit closer you can read below and set your "preferred display
mangager".  Happy package hunting.... ... gdm seems appropriate...

The actual file that sets the DM is /etc/X11/prefdm

Which basically checks a file /etc/sysconfig/desktop to see whether you want
GNOME, KDE or XDM.  If it finds one it runs it.  If it doesn't then it tries
one until it succeeds, if it doesn't it exits.

--
Mark Street, RHCE
http://www.oswizards.com