[NBLUG/talk] Redhat 9 -> Fedora Core 4 upgrade: xfree86 vs. xorg

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Wed Aug 17 15:35:21 PDT 2005

Hey, everybody:

This afternoon, I decided to do someone a 'favor' at work and upgrade
their RH9 machine to FC4.  I had managed to make a similar jump on
another machine, so I thought this would go okay.

Obviously, if it had gone okay, you wouldn't be reading this.

After the upgrade was done with the CDs, and rebooting, I can't get
anything on the monitor.  The machine is set to boot into X, so after
seeing the 'blah blah      [OK]' stuff, it tries to start X and fails.

The screen is blank and you can see the monitor kind of struggling -
the power light goes back & forth from green to yellow and no image
ever appears.

I'm assuming that I've got some sort of conflict between RH9's XFree86
and FC4's xorg.

I've poked at the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (monitor section) to get it
to sort of match the XFree86Conf file (or whatever it's called).

Is there an easy way to blow away the XFree86 cruft and maybe
reinstall xorg?

Any tips would be appreciated.  Since this is someone's work machine,
time is of the essence, and I'm at a loss google-wise.

-dave.

--
Dave Sisley
dsisley at sonic.net