[NBLUG/talk] Gaim weirdness with AOL

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 31 18:01:58 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 30 August 2005 05:20 pm, Troy Arnold wrote:
> Without delving into pinning and all that, just:
> 1) add sources for unstable to /etc/apt/sources.lst
> 2) Create an /etc/apt/apt.conf like so:
>
> APT::Default-Release "testing";
>
> 3) aptitude install gaim -t unstable

I guess I wasn't patient enough to wait for a response--I've already installed
the latest version of Gaim from a tarball.

Even so, I'll keep this is mind.

> if you're not a sonic.net customer, this mirror has a big, fat,
> screaming pipe:
>
> deb http://linux.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib

That's actually the mirror I currently use.  I tried running apt-spy a few
times, and it ALWAYS beat out the other mirrors.  The only reason I keep the
primary servers (ftp.us.debian.org and ftp.debian.org) in my sources.list is
in case I ever want a new package that hasn't yet been mirrored by the
Berkeley server (of course, I also have security.debian.org in my list, but
for other reasons that should be obvious).

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

It is better to give than to lend, and it costs about the same.