[NBLUG/talk] OT - SQL query question

Mark Street mark at oswizards.com
Fri Dec 2 10:55:30 PST 2005

On Friday 02 December 2005 11:26 am, Scott Doty wrote:
> I may be wrong, but I think you can just list the other fields that you
> want...e.g.:  select distinct(ADDR1),field2,field3 from mydb ...

Thanks Scott,
I already tried that, but DISTINCT seems to be ignored in that SQL statement.

On Friday 02 December 2005 11:31 am, Eric Eisenhart wrote:
> So, let's say your table looks like this:
> ---+------+-------+-------+
> ID | NAME | ADDR1 | ADDR2 |
> ---+------+-------+-------+
> 1  | Bob  | 1234  | St.   |
> 2  | Sue  | 1234  | St.   |
> 3  | Sue  | 1234  | Ave.  |
> 4  | Joe  | 7689  | Wy.   |
> your query, of course, returns: 1234 and 7689 (with no connection to
> anything else).  When you say you "need the other fields", what should you
> get back in this case?

I would want the NAME and ADDR2, etc. fields as well as the DISTINCT field.
Actually my ADDR1 field contains the street number and name, not a biggie.  I
guess #2 below would come closest to my requirements.

--
Mark Street, RHCE
http://www.oswizards.com