[NBLUG/talk] Making a Knoppix Disk

Andrew argonaut at softhome.net
Sun Feb 6 09:06:12 PST 2005

Peter Lutz wrote on Sun, 06 Feb 2005 08:00:08 -0800:

> Good morning.
> Yesterday's install fest was great fun, especially the huge HP
> server. Did it ever get going?

Not yet. Walter thinks it may take a few weeks of dealing with HP
to track down the problem. I wish him luck. Should be a nice step
up from his old PPro 166 if he can get it working.

> I noticed that most people there had KNOPPIX disks that seemed
> to just start and run a lot of hardware.  So I tried to make
> one.  Now I have a perfectly good cd with the file:
> KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso filling it completely.  But it
> won't boot.
>
> How do I turn this file into a bootable CD?

In Linux, you can use this cdrecord command:

cdrecord -v -pad speed=4 dev=0,0,0 KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso

"speed" can be changed to suit your burner's capabilities. For
example, to burn at 24x, set speed to 24. "dev" is the SCSI
device that identifies your burner. Chances are good it's 0,0,0
but if you have any doubts, run "cdrecord -scanbus". Look for
your burner in the output. The device to use will be listed in
#,#,# format. And, of course, if you are not in the directory
where your .iso file is, you will have to give the full path to
the file.

If I remember correctly, you said you also have Nero on Windows.
Instructions for burning with Nero can be found at
http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/neroburning.html

One more note: there is a more recent version of Knoppix out now.
Supposedly, v3.7 fixes a few bugs that plagued v3.6.

Good luck.

A.