[NBLUG/talk] Oh, goodness, what have I done?

Robert Hayes rhayes at silcom.com
Fri Feb 11 11:14:28 PST 2005

I was having difficulty with a secondary hdd, nothing TERRIBLY critical in
terms of data, but would prefer not to lose it.

I unmounted the drive, and ran
e2fsck -fvy /dev/hdd1

I went crazy with invalid block numbers, dtime errors, magic block, etc.

Here's the stupid part. I stopped e2fsck: <ctrl>-c.

Now this is what I get.

Is it terminal? Should I be tasered?

Please be gently.

Thanks.

#:  e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hdd
e2fsck 1.34-WIP (21-May-2003)
e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hdd

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2

    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

As you can see, this is a loop.