[NBLUG/talk] Best wireless card

Bob Blick bblick at sonic.net
Sat Jan 1 20:42:01 PST 2005

> I have a Linksys WPC11 v4 wireless card and after using Google, it
> appears that this card is noted for dificulty in getting to work
> correctly (if at all) with Linux.  I had loads of problems with Win 2K!
>
> Is there a recommendation for a easy to install card with Fedora 3
> and/or Knoppix?

I gave up on linksys cards. The three cards I have had no problems
with(instant install under Linux with no drivers needed) are:

Netgear MA401 802.11b
Dell TrueMobile 1150 801.11b, same as Orinoco Gold
Netgear WG511 802.11g

You might find it hard to get 802.11b cards new.

The 802.11g cards are 54Mbps and are all cardbus, but all modern laptops
support cardbus as well as the usual pcmcia standard, although some of the
earlier ones had trouble with a pcmcia card in one slot and a cardbus card
simultaneously in the other slot.

The Dell card has a connector for external antenna, although the fragility
of the connector makes it something you want to be careful with. Range on
all three cards without external antennas is good, although the 54 Mbps
cards will drop down speed pretty quickly with distance.

Cheerful regards,

Bob