[NBLUG/talk] RAID on the cheap?

Todd Cary todd at aristesoftware.com
Tue Jan 11 07:05:43 PST 2005

Lincoln -

I understand your frustration of having HD's fail and the time/work of
getting the system back online.  Unfortunately my setup is different
from yours in that my RAID is built into the motherboard.  With that
difference in mind, I use four drives: one pair for the system and one
pair for my data.  These are just RAID 1, but the setup gives me peace
of mind.

My production box is Windows (that is what my clients use) and I follow
the same setup as on my Linux server (if I do not use a Ghost image, it
take 3-5 days to reconfigure my system - that is why I went the RAID
route - once was enough).  For this system, I have added a fifth drive
that is USB (builtin) with an ExShuttle 2000 just in case I need to
access the data from a different computer.  I love those Kingwin
pullouts - so convenient.  All of my source code is kept on one and a
current Ghost image is kept on another.  Yes, a little paranoid, but I
was burned once (actually, twice).

Probably not much help since on both systems I use motherboards that
have the RAID builtin - picked the boards with that in mind.

Of course now that I have everything RAID'd, the disks have not failed -
isn't that the usual situation?!?.

Todd

P.S. My client insists that I have a NT 2000 server in my office so that
I can duplicate their system.  This has just one pair of RAID 1 drives
since it just acts as a PDC (I do not tell my client that I really use
the Linux box for my primary HTTP and FTP server - just keep their SQL
Server DB's on the NT box).