[NBLUG/talk] Server for sale - cheap!

Andrew argonaut at softhome.net
Thu Jan 20 18:13:59 PST 2005

Hey, all,

I thought maybe someone on this list might be interested in a
server that the Golden Gate Computer Society (ggcs.org) is
getting rid of. It's an HP NetServer LH4r, a big monstrous thing
with four Xeons and 2+ GB of RAM. An empty hard disk rack comes
along with it.

They've got it listed on eBay, but there are no bids yet. You can
see it at
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5744915463
Steve Shank, the guy in charge of the sale, tells me he'd be
happy to stop the auction and sell the server immediately for $20
or the current bid, whichever is higher. The buyer can take the
whole thing, or strip it for parts and leave the rest for
disposal, but there is an extra $20 fee for that.

The server is missing one of its two power supplies, and I
understand the RAM is the older EDO type, but if anyone is
interested, get back to me and I'll put you in touch with Steve.

A.

PS: Someone on the GGCS list lamented that you'd need Windows
2003 Enterprise in order to take advantage of all four
processors. I had to write back and point out that this machine
doesn't *need* any Microsoft OS -- that there are other OSes out
there which can effortlessly run all four processors. You know
what I mean!