[NBLUG/talk] Server for sale - cheap!

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Fri Jan 21 13:53:31 PST 2005

Oh, I burned a copy of the 10.1 cd's. I even have a 10.1 internet install
CD, but so far Mandrake doesn't seem to like me. I think my biggest
problem was setting it for high security. I should have left it open and
then put in what I wanted.

Hmmm. Not exactly sure, but eveytime I need to install something it seems
like I have to go chasing down a lot of libraries compared to normal
(redhat) in mandrake. Hmmm. I guess there's not that much missing. Pico
not bing there annoyed me and then trying to get it installed was like
pulling teeth. I learned vi as it seemed to be easier than installing
pico. vi isn't horrible, but it sure takes me back about 20 years (about
as good as say wordstar or worse). I guess it could be worse, I started
programming using edline as I remember. I found pico simple and good, but
now I'm a better person for knowing vi.

I think the thing I don't like about mandrake is the difficulty I
encounter getting packages installed, but that's probably just me being
lazy and not remembering some of the same difficulty with redhat. It just
seems like this: want packageA, -> needs packageB, C, D, B needs D,E,F, C
needs G,H, D needs I then H needs J,K,L and L needs the A. Hairpulling,
hairpulling.