[NBLUG/talk] End of BIOS update saga

Glen Gunsalus G-Gunsalus at Mindspring.com
Mon Jan 24 12:16:05 PST 2005

Well, all things are relative.  Given the alternative, I'm delighted to be
back in business.  I wasn't looking forward to shelling out unnecessary $s.

In the end eSupport.com did ok by me - just slower and more painful than I'd
have liked.  I've got a good upgrade of the AWARD BIOS for my motherboard.
The problem was an entire week of no response during which I was gnashing
teeth and looking for my next system.  I don't see any excuse for not at least
letting me know what their problem was.  I finally called them after not
getting response to my e-mail queries.  When my flash failed and I had no
system, they said they'd send me a replacement chip, but nothing after that
despite multiple queries from me.  I finally called them and was told they
couldn't locate a replacement chip (my MB is ~6yr old, used a rather obscure
40-pin flash chip, and the manufacturer is no longer in business).  Soooo...,
once I got them on the phone and found where their problem was, I told them
I'd be happy to pull and ship my chip so they gave me an RMA and I had a 5 day
turn-around (they're in MA).

There are other people that'll flash chips (biosman for one), but you have to
supply the BIOS and in my case, there were only old and problematic versions I
could locate.

eSupport.com is the licensed (I think) supporter of AWARD now, so they were
able to supply the latest for my board.  As you recall this all started
because I wanted to install debian on a second disk of > 20Gbytes which my
BIOS couldn't detect/boot.  Well, now I see the second 60Gbyte disk and can
boot it too, so am back in business.

I know this is a bit long-winded, but thought the details relevant to your
query.

Cheers, Glen