[NBLUG/talk] Intermittent USB controller failure

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 29 16:59:12 PST 2005

I have an Asus A78X-X motherboars with onboard USB 2.0.  It works
perfectly almost all of the time, but on rare occasions, the USB
controller fails completely, causing the USB devices to shut down and
any programs that are actively using them to hang.  The only way to make
them usable again is to reboot the computer (I've tried unloading and
reloading the relevant modules, but reloading them only seems to cause
insmod/modprobe to hang).

Has anyone ever encountered a problem like this?  I'm not sure if it's
caused by the kernel (the stock 2.6.8-1 from Debian/testing), the USB
controller, or a weird interaction between the two, and I have no idea
how I'd even find out.

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>