[NBLUG/talk] Init script stoped working in debian.

Jacob Appelbaum jake at nblug.org
Mon Jan 31 14:06:23 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 12:32, Steve Johnson wrote:
> I'm not sure when this happened, but my /etc/init.d/sendmail init
> script stoped working on my debian stable box, after I noticed this, I
> checked on my testing box, and it stopped working too.
>
> I get this when I run it.
>
> smeagol:~# /etc/init.d/sendmail stop
> /etc/init.d/sendmail: line 1: ELF: command not found
>
> This happens on both my testing and stable box, and yes I am logged in
> as root when I run the command =)
>
> Any ideas?
\

Can you give me the ouput of that file with head -n4 ?

head -n4 /etc/init.d/sendmail

Also, try to run it with strace like so:

strace -fF -v /etc/init.d/sendmail start

Send all the output to a file and repy with it.

I am sure between those two and the other answers, we can figure it out.

Oh also, the obvious question, have you recently upgraded your machines?

--
Jacob Appelbaum <jake at nblug.org>