[NBLUG/talk] Dell Latitude - Erase HDD

Osiris Pedroso opedroso at swoptimizer.com
Thu Mar 10 13:14:41 PST 2005

> A client has a Dell Latitude Win2000 box that was locked by its previous
> owner and would like to install his own OS on it.  Problem is no CD or
> peripherals.
If you have any other Dell machines in your place, you must have an account
in support.dell.com. If you don't, just create one.

Register the machine you have (serial number is underneath it) and the
download area will have all versions of drivers/tools needed to rebuild the
machine from the ground up.

You may find diag/tools to unlock it there.

They also have documentation which would probably tell you how to unlock it.

Hope this helps,

Osiris Pedroso
--
Optimizer Consulting
369B Third St #369

A client has a Dell Latitude Win2000 box that was locked by its previous
owner
and would like to install his own OS on it.  Problem is no CD or
peripherals.

we have several options.
1. USB floppy
2. USB Thumb drive
3. USB CD-ROM

Should I just smoke it with fdisk from a Tom's RBT floppy?
Saving the data is not an issue.  What would be the quickest and painless.

TIA
--
Mark Street, RHCE
http://www.oswizards.com