[NBLUG/talk] Ubuntu 5.04 + KDE - printer dissappears, prints garbage

A.C. ac at sonic.net
Wed Nov 2 11:08:37 PST 2005

Greetings,

Here's an interesting problem to chew on: I set up Ubuntu 5.04 plus the
KDE install (i.e. Ubuntu + Kubuntu) for a friend, but they have twice
had a very unusual problem with their Epson Stylus Color 777 printer
(Parallel, LPT1).  Both times, the printer has suddenly started printing
garbage when a print job was attempted even though they had been able to
successfully print for a couple of weeks prior to the problem.  In both
cases, the printer stopped showing up in KDE's printer manager
application, but the printer is visible to the CUPS web configuration
utility (although no changes can be made there).  Print jobs attempted
after this behavior starts are always aborted without a reason why.  The
first time this problem happened I removed all printing applications and
configuration files and started over from scratch, but now that it's
happening again I need to figure out the root cause or at least how to
prevent it.

I'm about to take the nuclear option and just install a straight Kubuntu
5.10 install instead of having Ubuntu with KDE on it, but I wanted to
ping the group first to see if anyone had any similar problems or
suggestions.  If I do end up going ot Kubuntu 5.10, has anyone here
taken it for a spin?

I continue to be appreciative of the support I've been given here -
thanks to all who have helped me in the past.  Have a good day,

A.C.
******