[NBLUG/talk] Re: slow open office startup

Bob Blick bblick at sonic.net
Wed Nov 9 09:11:40 PST 2005

> On Tuesday 08 November 2005 06:05 pm, Tim Preston wrote:
>> So, can anyone explain this in OO's progamming? Is it loading stuff, or
>> creating temp files? Couldn't there be a file or group of files that
>> already exist that OO uses to startup? Or, is it just recreating the
>> files everytime it starts that slows it down?

When you have a large program with lots of subprograms, to maintain
efficiency and make maintenance easier you use shared objects. These
shared objects are dynamically linked at runtime. Dealing with hundreds of
files takes time. Yes, there are hundreds, look in
/opt/openofficeXX/program/. So although objects are not loaded in memory
if they are not needed, their signatures must be registered when the
program starts. Coming at the same time that a graphic interface is being
generated, with its hundreds of widgets, a lot of cpu and disk is used.

I suppose it would be possible to make a version that is not modular, but
that would be considered bad practice and it would be hard to convince
them to waste their time doing it.

Cheerful regards,

Bob