[NBLUG/talk] Duplicating a server

Todd Cary todd at aristesoftware.com
Sat Nov 19 17:28:09 PST 2005

I know that I have asked this before and I received some answers, but I
have not found a simple solution yet...maybe there isn't one.

Task: keep a backup server ready in case the main one dies.

Though my server is not running critcal tasks, I along with my clients
have become dependent on it for FTP and testing of PHP apps.  Currently
it is running Centos 4.1.  My backup server which is offline is running
RH 8 (will not accept Centos) is in standby mode.  From time to time I
tar the "/home" directory and untar it on the standby server, but then I
have to reset the owners and groups on the files.  Also, the dot files
for the users may not be compatible (have not had that problem so far).

Is there some automated way to get this task done?

Todd

--
Ariste Software
2200 D Street Ext