[NBLUG/talk] Hardware Auto Power On

Bob Blick bblick at sonic.net
Wed Nov 23 12:46:59 PST 2005

> Anybody know the name of the "feature" for this. Would a new powersupply
> do the trick? Clever wiring? I'll probably open her up and look for a
> jumper, but there's probably not much chance of finding one.

Hi Walter,

A newer bios might have the option. Otherwise, you can make it "always on"
pretty easily. Pin 14 on the ATX power connector has a green wire.
Grounding it will make the power supply turn on. It only stays on while
grounded. I'd recommend cutting the wire free from the connector so you
aren't grounding the motherboard signal.

You could also get fancy and put a diode in series so you could have the
best of both worlds.

I guess that's a "make your own" jumper solution :)

Cheerful regards,

Bob